Most maintenance managers of facilities, responsible for overseeing the cleanliness and health of their building, know this is not as simple as it sounds. The type of facility and its needs dictate the services required. The appearance of the facility plays a large role in the success of the business, whether it is a supermarket, retail store or even a hospital. A dirty appearance always makes a bad impression! With cleaning being an $80 billion dollar industry, there is an extensive list of commercial cleaning services, some of which have decided to franchise. They range from small, mid-size and large, and all have their own menu of services to offer. So, what are some things to look for when making a decision?
Let’s start with the facility and size. Depending on the kind of business and size of your facility helps narrow down the list of commercial cleaning services to research. Do you have multiple locations requiring service? Next, decide on the services you need; the type of surface(s) that need to be cleaned, and what kind of frequency are you looking for? Lastly, decide on your budget. Once this list is in place it is time to start the interview process. Write down all your questions.
For a mid-size to large facility there are most likely more than one area or type of areas to be cleaned. Whether it is a supermarket, retail space, school, hospital or even a warehouse, every place has floors to be cleaned and maintained. But what kind of surface is it? Is it ceramic, vinyl, concrete, carpet? Don’t forget the windows. If it’s a supermarket you may require department cleaning, such as meat rooms, bakery, deli & hot foods, etc… Is it a hospital? Hospitals and schools have their own level of “clean” to maintain, with strict rules, regulations and procedures to be followed. Choosing a larger commercial cleaning service who offers a diverse menu of services will probably be your best choice. Make sure to add to your list commercial cleaning service franchises, as they tend to always offer the services you will most likely require and can provide them to multiple locations should you need this.
Here are a few important questions to help you make your decision on the choosing the right cleaning service:
1. What services do they specialize in?
2. Are they a franchise company? Can they service multiple locations if necessary?
3. Do they have the man-power to accomplish the services you require?
4. What is their experience?
5. What types of cleaning products do they use? and why?
6. What types of clients do they currently provide services for? Do they have experience with other businesses like yours?
7. Do they have references? A commercial cleaning company who will give you at least 3 references of current clients also is a strong indication this company is confident of their abilities to provide the services you need and in the way you deserve to have your facility look.
You want to look for a well rounded commercial cleaning service which has a proven track record of retaining its clients. After all you don’t want to have to keep repeating the hiring processing. Review the answers to these questions carefully to help narrow your list of possible cleaning services to choose from. Before making your final selection there are a few additional items just as important in the decision making process.